WELCOME TO 5 BULLET FRIDAY!The Chadron High School Cardinal Counseling Department is excited to share our 5 Bullet Friday Newsletter for the 2019-20 school year! Each week we will be providing readers with five facts, tips or tricks to help make the school year a success academically, emotionally, and socially! 1. How to Develop
Growth v. Fixed MindsetListen to this week's Cardinal Cast on How to Develop a GROWTH Mindset!
Fixed Mindset Recap: With a fixed mindset, people believe their skills and talents are fixed traits and therefore cannot change. Usually, this results because someone has been praised for that trait: "You're so smart!" "You're so athletic!" "You're such a great artist!" And then, when you fail, your self-esteem plummets - because you think you've tapped out your skills.
Growth Mindset: The opposite of a fixed mindset is a growth mindset. With a growth mindset, people have an underlying belief that their talents can grow with time and experience. You know what matters is effort that you put in - and your 1,000% in control of that!Takeaways from this episode:
1. Learn to hear the fixed mindset voice in your head
- "I'm not any good at this"
- "It's never worked out before so it won't"
- "This would have been easy if I had talent"
- "If I can't do it perfectly I shouldn't try"
2. Spend time with positive people
- Being hard on yourself is a product of your training, but that doesn't mean you can't change that line of thinking.
- Start surrounding yourself with cheerleaders - people who really support and uplift you.
- Behavior is CONTAGIOUS.
3. Recognize you have a choice.
- When you face criticism, setbacks, or failure, realize that you can choose how you want to view it.
- Do you want to put on the . negative glasses and quit? Or you can say "Time to try a new strategy."
- As simple as it sounds, just realizing you have a choice in whether you listen to the thoughts in your head is key.
4. When the voices in your head turned to the fixed mindset, talk back to them.
- "You can't do that - you're not talented enough."
- How we respond: "I don't know if I can do it now, but with effort I can."
- "I've never been good at this."
- "With hard work and time I can be better than I am right now."
- "I'm a failure"
- "I'm human and going to be for a long time and humans MAKE MISTAKES, time to try a new strategy and do better next time."
Please please watch or listen to this one!!!Check us out on iTunes and make sure you hit SUBSCRIBE! 2. EducationQuest is a GREAT Resource for Scholarships, College Prep,
and MORE!I consistently get asked the question "Should I be doing more to prepare my student for college?" Or "What should I be doing my student's _____ year to prepare for the senior year and transition. My FAVORITE resource to answer these questions is check out EducationQuest! EducationQuest Foundation is a nonprofit organization with a mission to improve access to higher education in Nebraska.EducationQuest provides free college planning services, need-based scholarship programs, college access grants for high schools, college access resources for middle schools, and outreach services for community agencies.Check out the link above at www.educationquest.org and peruse the amazing resources and checklists available! Also check out the Reality Check to have your student pair values with degrees and career opportunities! 3. Dates to Put on Your Calendar
- September 30th: Transition to College Event. Due to rescheduling for Homecoming our very FIRST Transition to College Event will be on Monday, September 30th. 11th and 12th grade PARENTS ONLY for this one! Come learn about how you can help your child transition to college! This is a 3 part seriest this Fall and will continue for two additional dates on October 7th and October 21st. Daycare and light dinner will be provided!
- October 2nd: No School Teacher Inservice
- ACT Dates and Registration deadlines (listed above). It is NEVER too early to take an ACT! 9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th graders are all encouraged to give the test a shot and see how they do, statistically the more times you take the ACT the better you do!
4. Why You Should Re-Think Hitting the SNOOZE ButtonMy girl Mel Robbins hits a home run with this video on why hitting the snooze button ruins your brain.You don't need me to tell you that hitting the snooze button once your alarm goes off doesn't make it any easier to wake up. In fact, you probably feel more anxious, less productive, and more tired by the time you wake up after hitting snooze multiple times.5. Mental Health Minutes:
Screen Time and Emotional HealthReaders, THANK YOU AGAIN for joining us! Whether you are from CHS or another school, If you find it worthwhile please continue to SHARE. THE. LOVE (and the link).
Follow Chadron High School on social media below!